Feeling a bit glum

Hi
Im 37 and suffered a TIA about 2 years ago and was diagnosed with a PFO. Whilst waiting for surgery I suffered a massive stroke about 9 months ago. This left me unable to move my right arm and leg. I was in Hospital for about 2 weeks then in a rehab unit for about 3 weeks after that where I gradually was able to re learn how to walk and use my arm.
I returned to work after having about 4 months off to recover. Work has been great, offering me reduced hours (I used to do 40, I’m now on 20).
The only trouble is that it’s a physical job in horticulture and I am still struggling massively with fatigue and pain in my affected joints.
I don’t know what to do, sometimes I feel I would be better off dead as I have no life outside work due to fatigue. I was hoping it would have improved slightly by now but I’m not sure if I can go on if it’s like this forever. My future looks bleak. Should I change my job to a less physical one and hope for the best and who would want to employ someone recovering from stroke?
Thanks for your listening ear x

1 Like

Hi @Caty
Welcome to the community :slight_smile:

I guess if you’ve read nearly 150 odd posts you’re beginning to get some idea of how things work here?

If you haven’t yet discovered the magnifying glass above it’s a very useful tool when combined with words like fatigue - you might get some suggestions of how to deal with it.
I think most of us find that it’s effects can reduce over time - but that isn’t all of us by any means, and how long reduction takes will vary.

You said your stroke was less than a year so you’ve managed to go back to work pretty soon! I guess the real question is whether you can struggle on well not knowing if it will improve for all how long it will take

Do you find it worse on some days then on others? If so maybe there is some management techniques you could use to avoid the worst triggers - there are various posts on people’s strategies

Obviously changing job is a big change, but perhaps smaller than adjusting to life after stroke is :slight_smile: ?

getting a job should not directly be influenced by whether you have a stroke but by the skills and capabilities you have and the area you want to work in.

Lots of people have jobs post stroke :slight_smile:

Guess you’re taking stock because it’s that time of year?

MyBest wishes for the new year
Ciao
Simon

1 Like

Welcome Caty Keep your pecker up your still a nipper. Horticulture is many facetes Was a professional gardener all my life, thought I was bombproof. Knew when I was zapped time to hang up my Hoe. No physical problems just visual but the fatigue was a stinker.
What branch of horticulture are you in. .? After three years for me the fatigue comes and goes. Can spend two , three hours physically active then need a lie down. If you can do twenty hours that’s not bad. I’m sure there’s a job out there for you with a sympathetic employer. But even if you can work in four hour bursts then rest, think there has to be something out there

2 Likes

@Caty Hi & welcome to the forum although sorry you’ve had cause to join us.

Well done on getting back to work. 4 months though is very early & i’m not surprised you’re feeling the fatigue. I didn’t go back for 18 months & still struggle with the fatigue & also can do nothing after a day at work.

It’s great your employer is letting you work reduced hours. You dont say how you spread those hours over a week. I currently work 4 days but work Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri which gives me Weds & weekends to rest & recharge.

Only you really know your capabilities but can your employer put other adjustments in place to make things a bit easier? Have you had an occupational health referral done? They can recommend appropriate adjustments.

With regards to finding employment elsewhere they are not able to discriminate against people with disabilities. I’m aware of people who have changed jobs post stroke so it should be doable.

One thing I would add though is that less physical doesn’t necessarily mean less fatigue. I have a desk based job & I too get exhausted.

Whatever you decide I wish you lots of luck.

Best wishes

Ann

2 Likes

Hello Caty,
Don’t feel down. You have loads to give.
Have you thought about teaching your knowledge? Maybe with school kids?

1 Like