Extreme Fatigue

Hi @MIKEYD441
I would say welcome but you’ve been here quite a while now that overlap with the time I couldn’t get on to the forum - still haven’t had a justification but that’s history now .

Very interesting that you posted in October to say stroke in July - so 3 to 4 months after. There is a research project at UCL that is investigating whether post stroke fatigue related to healing of the brain tissues isn’t replaced by post stroke fatigue generated by altered brain chemistry that kicks in somewhere in the ensuing months.

In relation to keeping a diary
If you keep a record of your exposure to noise, multitasking, bright lights, many people, complex cognitive activities, physical activity, quality and quantity of sleep, ditto alcohol, your food and hydration intakes, your medication, and any other factors for example stress, anxiety, excitement…

And you keep the record of your daily and weekly fatigue like when it came on, how long it lasted for whether it was all physical or all mental etc etc

And you keep a record of your recovery strategies such as sitting in a dark room, reading and listening to music, walking in the woods or by the sea, taking a snooze, meditating, etc what works for you

And then you look for patterns over the days and weeks and correlations between the fatigue and the past week you may get some insights.

You might also develop strategies such as the type of rest you need as preparation before a demanding event to enable you to get through it with less consequences afterwards. The Instagram account Lea (@BakersBunny ) recommended above chronicles one young ladies varying strategies over a couple years

Most of us have a learning to deal with fatigue journey that I sometimes compare with teenagers getting drunk. The first time you do it badly during the hangover you say I’ll never do that again. I think it took me till I was about 30 to actually avoid ever doing it again! I’ve certainly overdone things on the exertion post stroke leading to fatigue.

Most people find it does get better but the old adage of where all different does mean that you may recover very quickly or not at all but the average is for a gradual improvement.
I think the jury is out on whether pushing yourself up to your limit frequently extends the limit

Ciao
Simon

4 Likes