Diet after stroke

Hi @SimonInEdinburgh apologise for only responding now. What information did they glean from the retina of both eyes if any?. My tia April 22 presented in my left eye. My lacunar stroke this year was in the basal ganglia. I have a sister with dementia so would be good to know if these two tablets they are using were successful. Many thanks

1 Like

Any advice on how to get metabolic health under control would be welcome, may well help with my eating issues. noticed the thread and googled metabolic health and got load of stuff I do not understand and lots of it!! All donations welcome
Many thanks
Wattsy

2 Likes

Walking is the best one at this early stage post stroke I think…every day! And we’re starting to get more good days than bad now weather wise so it’s a good time to start :wink: And unless you can already do an hours walk, then I’d suggest a half hour a day and build up gradually over the coming weeks.

I don’t know what part of the country you live in, but Age UK run Strength & Balance classes in many areas around the country (some districts may call it something slightly different). They are for the over 50’s age group and are to help keep you reasonably fit and active.

The exercises can be chair based or free standing depending on an individuals physical abilities and they are aimed at everybody not just stroke recovery. And that’s the beauty about these types of classes because there is no pressure to keep up, you go at your own pace and the instructors usually have an alternative exercise for any you can’t do. It’s a good social atmosphere too and you find the member are very supportive and encouraging of each other too.

The key piece of advice I can give you for exercise is to eat before you start, don’t exercise on an empty or near empty stomach. Both your body and brain need fuel to run just like a car! And carry a snack such as cereal bar or little bag of nuts or mini bar of chocolate to bring your blood sugar up if you find yourself flagging.

1 Like

@wattsy and @daveymitch
If either of you have a dietician at your gp’s practice they would be a good person to discuss your diet with regard to what foods would be suitable for your blood sugars. GP’s love proactive patients who are making an effort to stay healthy so they will be only too happy to refer you to one if they don’t have one in their practice.

I found the dietician very good getting me started in changing my diet when I when I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Very good at showing me where I could cut back with some foods and increase in others that I thought would be a no no. Might be worth a try :smile:

2 Likes