Can the stroke association advise?

Would you be able to answer 3 questions for me.

• Have any of the projects promoted lead to concrete changes being made and if so, could you advise what they were ?

• Can you please provide an update to the post
    “? Where to find out about the research activities of the Stroke Association”

• Does the stroke association ever commission research and if so, is there any way to influence what those research projects are ?

Many thanks

3 Likes

It certainly pays for it about 2.4 million a year in '23 and as a comparison it spends 8m on fundraising

See the annual report from page 54 onwards

Also p 136/137

Caio
Simon

1 Like

Cheers Simon. A lot of money then.
Hopefully some decent outcomes.

Pain, where for art thou …

2 Likes

Wow! Seems a bit backward.

2 Likes

Can I report my own post ?
I would like an update if possible, is there a process that I can follow to obtain a reply ?
Many thanks

1 Like

I wouldn’t do that if I were you because of the risk of it being used as an excuse to just delete things

@DeAnn
By “seems backwards” do you mean that the amounts spent are in a proportion that you would think would be the other way around?

One arguement would be that you have to spend on fundraising to generate the income. There’s a lot spent on outreach programs - need to examine what they are…

Caio
Simon

2 Likes

Yes, that is what I mean. Seems they might be skipping over some free and cheap resources to raise money…ie…the forum users and friends. Alzheimers Association holds walks, Cancer Foundation has walks, runs, vigils, parties, hosted by high school and college students, those in remission, friends and family of loved ones with Cancer, Heart Association holds red dress parties and basically any volunteer opportunity offered to them.

2 Likes

Pieces of the panel puzzle that I don’t see being connected are that the goals are to improve life after stroke.

That takes time effort & knowledge
We give our time effort knowledge

We are all therefore donors, volunteers.

We aren’t paying the salaries of intermediaries who don’t viscerly understand the impact of living with a stroke
We directly help those living with the impact of a stroke from a position of properly understanding what it’s like to live with after effects of stroke & attempted to draw services and indeed improve those services from wherever they’re offered/ provided by statutory obligation.

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you, @Stroke_Research (Dan) is currently unavailable to answer your questions. We’ve spoken to the Research team, and they’ve assured us that a member of the team will answer your questions in due course.

In the meantime, if you’d like to know more about research please visit our website Research | Stroke Association.

Many thanks,
CommunityAdmin