Beware targeted scams

Had phone call this morning telling me I had a health issue and vulnerable? I didn’t ask how do you know that. Very pleasant , when he said I’m a health official and did I know I Qualified for a free panic alarm button. :thinking:
What was he after , access to my home, upgrade scam ? Said thanks I already have one. End of conversation he slammed down phone

7 Likes

Aye, we do have to be vigilant. When I was scammed recently, my bank said that they couldn’t treat the case as fraud because, despite not having received what I had paid for, I chose to provide my payment details. So, not only are we at risk of being deceived but also we may not have any leverage to garner compensation or means to report what has happened.

5 Likes

Phone scammers I just love playing with :smiling_imp:
Though not so much since my stroke because of my aphasia, so just hang up.
But email scammers are such a bore and just clutter up my email inbox :roll_eyes:

Have you reported it to your service provider for your phone?
And have your double checked with your panic alarm provider in case it came through them or at least to make them aware that this is happening?
and Action Fraud: www.actionfraud.police.uk or call 0300 123 2040.

Ofcome: protecting yourself from nuisance calls and messages

The longest I’ve managed to keep scammer on the phone (wasting their money on the call) is 45mins…that particular woman was so gullible it was laughable. She bought my sorry tale of the “car accident” I was supposed to have had, right up to the point I told her she was now talking to my ghost.

Like I said, I’ve just been hanging up since my stroke, because of my aphasia, but I just realised that’s the perfect disability for me to start playing with them again…when I’m bored :smiling_imp: :laughing:

5 Likes

Yeah we waste their time by play along too

A recent “dad I broke my phone, can you pay my bills” was of NO interest to the police even though I gave them the bank account details so the individual could be traced, the phone number…

3 Likes

I had this same phone call a few months ago. I just told them i didn’t need one thanks and hung up. The thing that annoys me the most is that it takes me ages to get to the phone so i’m more annoyed they’ve wasted my time.

The scammers are getting more sophisticated and it is easy to get caught out these days.

4 Likes

We’ve reduced the number of scams we got by cancelling the home landline.

We hadn’t made a call on it in probably 10 years and we had 10 times as many scam calls as real calls so now we just use the mobiles

Side effect scams are reduced

3 Likes

I had one in the middle of a workout at the gym, couldn’t hear them very well so hung up. They tried to call back but I still couldn’t hear them. Only reason I kept phone on was because gp surgery was due to call back. It turned out it was the surgery, just that diabetic nurse was using another mobile I didn’t have registered on my phone :laughing: :blush:

5 Likes

This is something i’d like to do but can’t for now as hubby is self employed and we get his work calls on it. It’ll be going as soon as it can though.

3 Likes

You can put an automatic redirect on it say for 12 months…

4 Likes

You sweet little devil!

3 Likes