Bad day today

Just a moan really today has been a bad day I slept for 5 hours and when I am awake my head is really fuzzy and my left side leg and arm really hurt I just have no energy at all today

7 Likes

Sorry to hear this. I used to get a lot of days like that early on. It can be a sign you’ve overdone it. Rest up and hope you feel much better tomorrow xx

2 Likes

It “sucks” as they say. I got very little sleep to begin with and even that could be all over the place. Fuzzy head, no energy and no inclination to do anything if I could. It’s just your brain’s way of forcing you to rest because your brain needs it! If it needs extra time to heal and repairs, particularly after a busy day, it will just take it regardless of how you feel about it. It needs that time to process and store what it’s relearnt among other things.

It’s only been a couple of weeks, and you are going to have many more of these kind of days for some months to come but it will get better. And those kind of days will gradually become easier/fewer/more manageable as your brain recovers and you get stronger.

You are doing so well believe it or not, you are still here AND you are today posting on the forum despite how you feel, that’s a good sign.

Remember recovery is a marathon not a race.
And I for one, am glad its a mental marathon and not a running one because I was never much good at running, kept turning my ankles :sweat_smile: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hi @annie39

Please feel free to moan away it can be cathartic to get it off your chest.

I too had bad sleep for the first year or so. It has improved since but can still be patchy - I don’t think I ever sleep right the way through .

Things I found helpful was first of all to go to the loo an hour before I went to bed and then again when I went to bed and that stopped having to get up in the middle of the night.
Secondly I looked at the sleep improvement guidelines and followed the idea of a bedtime routine, removed phone from the bedroom (we never had a television in our bedroom), didn’t use the bedroom for wakeful activities that could be done elsewhere…
For some months I went and slept in the spare room too so that I didn’t have any guilt about disturbing my wife when I woke

That latter gave me the ability when I woke to get up for 10 minutes normally to look out of the window and then follow the bedtime routine which for me was getting into bed and assuming the same posture and slowly counting backwards from 1,000 in sevens. It took us some time to be effective but is now effective to the extent I no longer have to get up for 10 minutes and I’m no longer in the spare room :slight_smile:

Had less than a month in you the long journey still ahead. I don’t know what your other deficits are but I remember waking up was partly because turning over was so difficult in fact that is still a problem although my affected side is more mobile than it was in my first year. If any part of your staying awake is retained from the anxiety you first posted about then I would suggest some mindfulness research about how to push negative and nagging thoughts out of your mind that is what my counting backwards does for me. I can also use imagination a walk around the house and garden cataloguing the jobs I could be doing and the order in which I will approach them. I also use attempting to flex my arm joints in different combinations from shoulder elbow wrist and fingers both on the left which works and on the right which doesn’t this is a double benefit because it pushes other thoughts out of my mind and I find I can move better as a result although I still don’t have use of my right hand

Caio
Simon

1 Like

I posted about Shilajit for fatigue a few times, possibly with little result. But the recommendation comes from a top functional neurologist, so I’d recommend looking into it

Good luck, Roland

3 Likes

Is it working for you Roland, stroke fatigue wise? I do investigate these things in a cursory way, but am wary of price and whether the supplied product is genuine or not.

3 Likes

Hi Rups,

Shilajit did ‘work’ for me - I was turbo charged as soon as I started it. You will come across many reviews and testimonials on youtube. Yes, there are different qualities / prices / I paid £21 for a tub it & the brand is PinkTribe off Amazon. I gather one can pay 3 to 4 times that. It builds up in your body over the first few weeks, and is wise to take small dose to start. I have suspended it for the moment as it’s intense, produces heat, and the detox process is quite strong…

Also, I have started Creatine, and am taking my ASEA supplement, plus several other supplements, so I have enough going on. Lastly, oddly enough, I never suffered from significant fatigue… just at the end of the day.

Good luck, Roland

3 Likes

Yes bad days suck, just getting over one . My super carer said for goodness take paracetamol it will relieve tension. Cauased by an exhausting day physically and mentally. Last night head in a tar bucket, this morning up till coffee bear with saw head and tooth ache. Now coming up for air. Three posts on this wonderful forum blowing away cobwebs.

2 Likes

Aye, if I try anything online at a high price, I want to avoid being sold Marmite :laughing: My stroke survivor friend recommended I take B6 as a means of encouraging neurotransmitter production, when I saw it was a couple of pounds for a jar, I thought it worth giving a go, as I suspect these things need to be taken long-term and balanced with an appropriate diet as to work as a supplement. I have just ordered some Chinese herbs to help with osteoarthritis but now I’m thinking I may need to investigate growing them here because the price for a small amount is pretty hefty.

3 Likes