Announcements

Hello Colin, it was an item on stroke provision for the next few years. Put NHS England stroke in the search box and it should bring it up. It's a bit of a long read mind. 
Hope you are keeping well.

Ann

It was on the Victoria Derbyshire programme on BBC 2, very interesting interview, really about shortage of stroke consultants.

Thank you Ann

Having done a lot of accounts work for GPs and other doctors, I get a slight idea of NHSspeak. I am underwhelmed by the bits of the long term report that I did read.

I think I am right with suggesting that you, me and about 200,000 others need guidance and help with our stroke aftermath. By writing a long term report that neatly pushes all problems years down the line.

I watch Coronation Street. Not sure if the brain damage promoted this strange passtime, but I do follow it. Shona seems to be well scripted with her portrayal of someone coming round from brain injury. 

I felt well in touch with her responses and can relate that to my early days.

Expressing my congratulations I was somewhat taken aback when I was verbally crushed by being told I had nothing like Shonas problems. I knew my wife and didnt mistake my children so I couldnt possibly understand Shonas problems. So yet again I retreat and consider how little we are understood. And how aggresive many people are towards me.

But the sun is shining and football is about to start on the radio, so alls well in the world

Colin

Hello Colin,  I think that those who have a stroke in the future, (and I mean years from now) may get more prompt and accurate treatment which may prevent a lot of the problems with cognition and emotionalisation and also the physical effects which I know can cause as much stress as the cognitive effects for some people. 
I worked in the NHS as a cardiac technician and am frankly amazed at the way the health service is delivered. The service seems to be top heavy with managers and thin on the ground with nursing staff, physios, technicians etc ( those who actually deliver care to the patient). I'm so pleased that my husband, who was a nurse and lecturer, and I can mostly look after ourselves.
I've not seen Coronation Street in years so had no idea of the story line. I'll try and watch it on line if I can find it. Sorry you were verbally crushed by your comments on the programme but unfortunately that sometimes happens, I think we can become a bit over sensitive as well, I know I am and I can easily take things the wrong way. 
Well we've  been indoors most of the day today, it's really cold 'up north'. Hope we don't get snow yet although someone at the stroke group yesterday said we may get up to frost over the weekend.

Stay positive Colin you give us all great advice and that's worth it's weight in gold to us. Hope the football is good and your team wins.

Ann

Dear Ann

I mentioned that I did lots of work for Doctors. My biggest gripe was that all the extra funding was being spent on accountants and management ( I was one of the accountants). I did work for a matron at a major hospital and I loved the fact that I could help by doing figure work for her. 

More of my work was for GPs. My favourite surgery used one member of staff as part time paperwork and part time reception. I would then do two days a month on the accounts. When I left that work, it had 14 admin staff including three accountants and a practice manager. What a nonsense.

Put another way, I agree with you and your husband, its top heavy , big time.

And GPs are leaving because they spend so much of their time on admin.

Yes perhaps things will be better for stroke survivors, although my treatment was fast and top class. But my stroking was when I was asleep, so it wouldnt make any difference to me. I couldnt believe that the para medics got to me in two minutes. I live in a rural village, several miles from any hospital. The ambulance arrived in five minutes. Straight into resus, dedicated stroke unit, a nurse met me and declared she would be by my bedside until I was moved to the ward. Then I got A1+ treatment including no less than 5 physios. There was a kitchen for me to practice food preparation, a massive gym in which they ensured I could get up and down stairs, and then I was discharged into the care of an early discharge team who visited for six weeks. That was all brilliant and so much better than the experience people had ten years previous.

But then the support was hopeless. In fact there wasnt any. My GP did his best but he had 2,000 other patients to see and us SS really need an awful lot of time. A local charity set up a stroke group and that was wonderful, but it was too far for me to drive, so I only went three times. The SA dont cover my area.

What we need is dedicated support centres . Plus counsellors and physios etc. And we arent getting that any time soon.

I like trying to help other SS. I had "angels" on the old forum and they helped me a lot. So if I can pass on what they taught me then thats good.

York lost so the football wasnt good. But Watfod drew so that was OK.

ttfn

Colin

We need your help!

We are looking for some help to test a new email platform, designed to send you tailored information at the right time.

We would love to hear from you if you are:

• A stroke survivor
  • A resident within the M25 near London
  • Available on a weekday from 8am - 6pm, between the 7th-12th February 2020
  • And able to come to our office based in Old Street, London

To find out more, please email mystrokeguide@stroke.org.uk

Please note that you will be paid for your expenses.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Getting to grips with computing and technology

The Stroke Association and AbilityNet have partnered up and are working together to support more people affected by stroke, to access technology and be part of the digital community.

AbilityNet is a registered charity whose focus is to change the lives of disabled and older people by helping them to use digital technology, and with 300 volunteers across the country, you can now also request a volunteer to visit your club or group.

To find out more please visit https://mystrokeguide.com/help. 

Thanks!

My Stroke Guide Team

Would you like to get more active?

We are looking for stroke survivors who would like to start moving and trying new physical activities by taking part in a pilot programme, with a sports psychologist.

The project will involve spending one hour per week for 12 weeks with a sports psychologist and wearing an activity tracker, like a Fitbit. You will help us understand more about how to get active after a stroke and hopefully feel the benefits of being more physically active!

If you would like to get involved, please contact mystrokeguide@stroke.org.uk

- My Stroke Guide Team

Hi

...would really love to be involved. ..I have already responded by email...

Cheers 

Chris 

Hi Christian, 

We have received your email and it has been forwarded to the administrator who will be in touch with you directly. 

Thanks!

- My Stroke Guide Team

I would love to take part and have responded by email.

Regards  Sue

Hi Sue, 

We have received your email and it has been forwarded to the administrator who will be in touch with you directly. 

Thanks!

- My Stroke Guide Team

Coronavirus information for people affected by stroke

Coronavirus and the illness it causes, COVID-19, have been in the news non-stop since the outbreak began in Wuhan, China.

We have now provided some information and advice about this on our main website, please see https://www.stroke.org.uk/coronavirus

UPDATE: There is also easy-to-read guidance available, please see the attachment below.

My Stroke Guide Team

Survey  -  Have your say for stroke

We need your help in collecting the most important unanswered questions for stroke research.

We are leading a project called Priority Setting Partnership that will help us set the priorities in research, according to people affected by stroke, and health and social care professionals supporting them.

Are there questions about stroke that you think is important for research to try to answer? Your questions could help to improve treatment, rehabilitation and prevention in the future.

Click the link to complete the survey - https://www.stroke.org.uk/research/priority-setting-partnership

You can also help us spread the word by checking out our catchy hashtag on social media #MySayforStroke

- My Stroke Guide Team

AbilityNet Webinar

AbilityNet is a registered charity (supported by IBM and Microsoft) whose focus is to change the lives of disabled and older people by helping them to use digital technology. 

They are hosting a free webinar on Tuesday 31st March offering information and support on how technology can make life a little easier for people after a stroke, and those who are caring for them. 

For further information and to sign-up to the webinar, please follow the instructions on the link below.

https://abilitynet.org.uk/news-blogs/free-webinar-technology-help-stroke-survivors

- My Stroke Guide Team

New sections on My Stroke Guide

It's been difficult learning to adapt to a new way of life but there is no reason why it should be boring. 

In our newly added sections, you can now sign-up to our seasonal Stroke News Magazine, watch a video or two on our new YouTube channel about exercising at home or also have a read of the aphasia-friendly guides available on how to use video-calling. 

What's new
    • Stroke Apps
    • Stroke News
    • Webinars
    • Blog
    • Videos
    • How-to guides 

New sections can be found here https://mystrokeguide.com/information-and-support

Behind the scenes, we are also working on improving My Stroke Guide and would love your help doing it. We have created a test about organising the content on My Stroke Guide when we update the platform.

To take the test, please click the link https://00kc5615.optimalworkshop.com/treejack/msgtree

If you have any questions please email mystrokeguide@stroke.org.uk.

Stay safe
    - My Stroke Guide Team

Treejack exercise for My Stroke Guide

The My Stroke Guide Team have been working behind the scenes to bring you an improved and more user-friendly experience on the My Stroke Guide website, but we also need your help to do it. 

We've created a 'Treejack' exercise that will help us find out where information is best placed, how to improve navigation and overall site architecture. 

To complete the exercise, please click the link https://00kc5615.optimalworkshop.com/treejack/msgtree

If you have any questions please email mystrokeguide@stroke.org.uk

Many thanks

- My Stroke Guide Team

Urgent: Ask your local politician to share!

Since the coronavirus pandemic began, the number of people visiting A&E has dropped by over a third compared with the same time last year. 

It’s vital that people still ring 999 immediately when they see the signs of a stroke.

Tell your local politician to share this urgent message https://cutt.ly/Fylx8dv

The quicker people are diagnosed and treated, the better their chances of making a good recovery.

Your local politician is ideally placed to share this message with your local community, but we need you to let them know why it’s so important.

- My Stroke Guide Team

New changes to My Stroke Guide

We’re constantly seeking new ways to develop My Stroke Guide, and your valuable feedback has made a real difference to the site.

As a response to your valued suggestions, we’ve recently made some changes to the My Stroke Guide homepage before log-in. We’ve also uploaded new easy-read guides and information on how to use video-calling.

This will help you keep connected at this difficult time. We’re also excited about our new YouTube channel.

You can find these resources in our new section here: https://mystrokeguide.com/information-and-support 

We would not have been able to develop and grow the site if it wasn’t for your use and feedback on how to improve it. We’d love to hear what you think about these changes.

Reply with your thoughts below, or email your comments to mystrokeguide@stroke.org.uk

Thank you for continuing to make use of My Stroke Guide, and for providing peer support to others in similar circumstances.

For more information about the above changes, please read our most recent email: https://stroke-email.org.uk/1VKK-6VKID-1BS7SSZA51/cr.aspx

- My Stroke Guide Team

We Are Undefeatable - get involved!

Dance Club

Are you looking to get more active whilst you're shielding? The We Are Undefeatable team are looking for stroke survivors of all ages and abilities to join a virtual dance club. If you would like to take part or for more information, email WAUTeam@webershandwick.com

Football Team

Are you missing having a kick-about? The We Are Undefeatable team are looking to put together a virtual walking football team in lockdown for people who have had a stroke or have long-term conditions. For more information, email WAUTeam@webershandwick.com